home about archives blogfriends recipes cottage

Monday, July 5, 2010

Water Water Everywhere!





It has certainly been a rainy long weekend for a lot of us here in Kansas
and I'm sure in other states as well. The tropical storm in the Gulf sent
waves of heavy rains our way for the last few days.


We have a creek to the north of us that winds it's way back and forth across
fields all around us. At last check this afternoon we had recieved
5 3/4 inches
 of rainfall starting Saturday evening and after a short reprieve
this afternoon it has been pouring off and on ever since.






The above photo's are of the bridge and creek approx 1/8th of a mile to the north of us. It also swings behind our property. It is normally a small narrow creek that barely runs all summer.

About 5 this evening Hubby and I went out to check on the creek and a few of the roads surrounding the farm.

This is what we saw.







This is a pasture along side the creek and road.

This is the road to the north of us. It's not a good road to drive after a rain but it will be impossible to get down until it has a chance to dry up. Thank heavens this isn't a road we have to travel!


I just checked the rain gauge and we have another 3/4" of rain in there.
Thunder is rumbling in the distance and the weatherman says we
have a 90% chance of rain during the night.

I'm starting to wish we never sold the boat!


See the dark row of tree's behind the over flowing creek?
That's our farm.


Here's a few pictures of our soggy yard. New grass seed
would have been washed away with this deluge.

The one good thing about this rain is...I won't have to drag the hose around
watering everything this week...YEAY!


I hope you have a WONDERFUL day.


9 comments:

Pondside said...

That's it - you're definitely a 'glass half full' kind of gal! I'm sorry that your newly planted lawn has lost all its seed - but with all that moisture I'll be it'll grow quickly now if you re-seed. Good luck!

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

That's a lot of rain, Maura. I hope the rains subside soon and there's no damage to your property.
Really cool pictures!
Stay safe and dry.
Hugs,
Laura

The Bear's Blog said...

Good Morning Maura,

We also had rain everyday of the holiday weekend but nothing like that. Afternoon thunderstorms - but that's summer in the south.

Be safe.

Hugs,
Joyce

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Yikes that's a lot of water! We could have used some of that rain in Georgia. I don't think it's rained in about two weeks and my water bill is going to be crazy from all the watering I've had to do.

Manuela

Jan Hennings said...

hello :)
You've certainly had a lot of rain and I hope you get some dry weather soon!!
Thanks for your kind comment on my USArtQuest pendants. I'm unsure where to buy the double pane glass pendants online...but you could try
Hobby Lobby, Crafts Etc.

Julie said...

Scary! I love the rain but not that much, I hope it ends soon for you.

John Going Gently said...

whats going on in the world?
we probably will have a hosepip ban here soon!!!!

Melissa Price said...

Oh, Maura. What a miserable week! I'm so sorry it's flooding there. It's been a wild summer, that's for sure. I'm thankful for every bit of produce I'm able to harvest from the garden. I'm beating the odds with my water hose and my prayers. This heat and drought have been something else entirely! That's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. Praying for some sunshine to head your way VERY soon. : ) Melissa

Scufty said...

WOW! We've had lots of rain, too, and unfortunately a lot of the fields around home look like this. It's the first time our river has gone over the banks in the summer for years - normally that's a spring occurrence. Sure hope you'll get some sunshine - but not too much so you don't bake - soon! Stay hydrated and well....Love you...Scufty

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...