home about archives blogfriends recipes cottage

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Country Drive

( You can click on each of the pictures to enlarge)

On Saturday I decided to drive into town and see if there were any garage sales... I haven't been to a garage sale since spring and felt like I needed my 'junkin fix'.
I thought I'd take my camera along and travel the country road just to the north of us.



It's a sweet winding road with typical 'country' scenes of fields, windmills, cows, creeks and old barns.










I had been looking forward to taking pictures of one old barn that I loved with a wonderful cupola on the top. As I was looking for a good shot from the side road I spotted another old barn so pulled over and walked over to the fence to get my shot. Just then the elderly owner came out of the driveway in a 1966 Chevy pickup.
He was such a sweet fellow who was wearing a huge grin as he drove up.
Turns out he also owned the barn I was originally looking for but unfortunately had torn it down a few months earlier. He told me I could just go into his farmyard and take all the pictures I wanted but since he wasn't going to be home I told him I'd come back another time. I was surprised at his offer but that's typical of country folk around here. As I was looking for a spot to turn around I spotted this old building in his yard that I just had to get a picture of right away.
It's the building above...isn't it sweet!







I finally arrived in town and found only one garage sale but it didn't have anything I couldn't live without. I was disappointed but satisfied with the pictures that I had taken.
I really feel bad that I never got a picture of that old barn before it had been torn down as I had been wanting to do that for about a year. It taught me a valuable lesson though...if you see something you'd like to get a picture of...don't wait because it may not be there when YOU'RE finally ready.

I think that's a good lesson for all of us in many ways.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Maura :)









16 comments:

The Bear's Blog said...

Good Morning Miss Maura,

Thank you for sharing those lovely pictures. Mom tells us that she lived in the country, up in Northwester New Jersey and she gets real homesick.

And thank you for your thoughts about taking pictures when you see something that you want to treasure - and not wait "till next time".

We are sorry that you didn't get your picture but you did meet someone very nice, and he told you to take all the pictures that you want. We hope you do get back to visit him. Maybe he will let you take a picture of his truck. (o:

Hugs,
Prudence & Sissy
(especially Mom)

Julie said...

I enjoyed looking at the pictures it reminded me of when we lived in the country. I just love looking and painting old barns!

Pondside said...

You're so right, Maura - we have to do things when we think of them. Life's short, barns get pulled down, children grow up and flowers disappear - lucky for us that you live in a place with lots of lovely photo ops!

Deb said...

Wonderful pictures Maura. I love the country so much. Every barn has a story (and unfortunately too many cats, but that's another story.)I agree with you to act when the moment hits you. Too often we wait and never have the pleasure of experiencing what we waited for. I'll keep that in mind now. Have a lovely day, Hugs, Deb =^..^=x5

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Boy are you right about taking pictures when you see something - same as do things as you think of them. This is indeed a lesson I've learned this year as well and it's nice to be reminded.
Love the photos - just love old barns. Makes you dream about what they were like when they were working farms.
Thanks so much for sharing.
-Staci

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I so enjoyed the photos Maura! I love old buildings - I like to think about who and how they were used.

Manuela

Beatnheart said...

the barns of Wisconsin are slowly fading away...so sad. I love the ones with advertising on them. Sorry I’ve been so slack, doing a lot of work around here as the weather has been perfect!!! for outdoor and garage clean out...

Unknown said...

Maura, A very good lesson indeed. And yes, country folk are like that aren't they? : )

I'm so glad you were still able to find that other adorable barn. It's so sweet!

Be well ~Andrea~

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

HI Maura,
I just got caught up reading several of your posts. I love old barns too and it's fun to see the pics you took. And your cottage bedroom below is gorgeous! I doubt I would change a thing. Oh and the sidebar pics are always so fun to look at. I added on as a follower again and now you will see two of me. Blogger was not letting me add any more blogs to follow but finally I can but I have to go back and add on again. Ok, hope that makes sense. Have a nice Wed. too!
Cindy

Janean said...

maura, we had a car stop in our drive at Sweetwater about six weeks ago. a woman jumped out and took several photos of the field across the road as the fog was rolling in. i told my honey she was probably a blogger! we got a kick out of it too. :)

My Painted Garden said...

Hi Maura,

Oh my goodness - what beautiful photographs. You made my morning joyful just looking at the wonderful old barns. Thank you for sharing.
Erin

Girl Tornado said...

Maura, what an awesome country drive. Love all your pics, but esp that little red barn in the older gentleman's yard. Gorgeous! I haven't been around to my friends' blogs because with work, it's just been plain crazy. I hope things calm down by the time winter gets here!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maura, Thanks for showing the lovely pictures!! There such beautiful old barns...Kathy

A Brit in Tennessee said...

There is nothing more lovely than a drive in the country, it renews one's spirit. Your pictures are delightful, the old barns spectacular...
Thank you for sharing your pictures with us, it was truly a lovely trip ;)
Jo

Anita said...

Dear Maura!

Thanks a lot for this little road trip! The pictures remind me a bid of the movie "The Bridges of Madison Country". I've never been to the US so far but I hope I'll make it one day... ;-))

Thanks for all your lovely comments you always leave on my blog. I am sorry that I do not always have time to visit you bag and leave a little note so that you know I was there.

We are on holiday for three weeks but the sad thing is that the wonderful hot summer weather is over and it has been raining a lot this week (and it still is this morning). So I took this opportunity and finally sewed that Amy Butler bag yesterday. I am glad you like it!

Best wishes and have a wonderfull day, too!
Anita

Missouri Gal said...

I love old barns too! To make a coffee table book of old barns, is high up on my bucket list. You are very lucky, KS is plentiful with those old barns. I loved driving down I-70 and seeing them dot the land. I loved the stone barns as well. Very cool!
Have a great weekend Maura!
PS my computer crashed so I haven't been on for a while. I'm playing catch up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...