home about archives blogfriends recipes cottage

Friday, July 16, 2010

Favorite Things II

Very old Salt and Pepper Shakers that belonged to my Great Grandmother


A few months ago I shared with you a few of my favorite things around the cottage.
Some of those were things I had found at garage sales or picked up
on trips to see my sister in England,
some had been handed down from my Grandmother from England
and some were given as gifts.


I bought this at a garage sale as it reminded me of my trips to England

I love these 'things' not because they have monetary value (most do not!)
but because they mean something to me.
Some were owned by someone I loved dearly
others were things that I bought while I was someplace special.



Some of my treasures are kept in this old secretary
which is another of my favorite things



All of us have things that are special to us for one reason or another.



This little pitcher belonged to my Great Grandmother
and was given to me by my Dad.
I never met either of my Great Grandmothers.
I did have the priveledge of meeting one of my Great Grandfathers
in the late 50's... a couple of years before he passed away... not long after his 100th birthday.



These forks were bought to remind me of the wonderful little shop
my sister and I found in Norwich England.
It was a tiny little shop or house built in the 1500's.
The first floor held a few larger items but you had to go up a narrow little staircase that curved around the ancient chimney. The boards on those stairs were so worn that they
were a shallow U and they were shaped like a cut off triangle as they circled around up to the second floor. There sat a little old lady with a shawl and a little electric heater at her feet minding her shop. The old building had settled so much since the 1500's that there was about a 2 1/2 inch gap between the bottom and top corner of the one window in the room!
We had such a wonderful time shopping in this sweet village.
Maybe one day I'll find my photo's of that trip...if I ever get all my boxes unpacked!



This shoe horn belonged to a relative who lived in England in the 1700's
and was said to be a 'highway man'. I think that's a romantic way of saying
he was a robber who robbed coaches traveling the main roads in the country.
I guess everyone has someone in in thier families past that stood out ...so to speak ;)




These 'Toby' pitchers or mugs belonged to my Dad's parents
My Nana and Grandpa who raised me.
Bill Sykes (from Charles Dickens Oliver) is on the left and Capn Patch is on the right.



This is a plate from the 1700's that my sister from England brought over for me.
I love it.




Janet also gave me this 1700's Spode teacup.
It was made without a handle!


So there you have it...a few more of my favorite things here at the cottage.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing them and hearing a little bit about them.


What about you? Do you have some 'favorite things' that you would like to share with us?


Enjoy your weekend!
Maura :)

17 comments:

Pondside said...

Your favorite things are beautiful - especially for their meaning to you. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be a 1700's Spode teacup.

The Bear's Blog said...

Maura,

THANK YOU for sharing those beautiful, precious treasures. I think we get so use to our own treasures, knowing that they are exactly where they should be, that seeing someone else's is so exciting and refreshing. And different treasures, maybe that we have not seen before.

Thank you, I certainly enjoyed the visit.

Happy Day,
Joyce & The Bears

Finding Pam said...

Maura, I loved seeing your favorite things. That little cottage is a David WInter. I have the same one and I love it. It means more to me when a family member once owned a treasured piece.

I am very sentimental that way because I have a memory attached to it.

Deb said...

That's a nice idea for a post. I enjoyed reading about your family treasures. I have a few but my lovely grandmother who I spent my summers with and loved all her dishes and trinkets lost everything in a house fire. She was living with my aunt down the road at the time and was never able to go back to her home. Can you imagine what that must have been like for her. To lose all her treasures. She had many photos in her attic that we would love to have had. BUT....I have wonderful memories of her and her home and that's what I will remember. If I was to pick a favorite of yours it would be the 1700's plate. That is a beauty. Have a great weekend. Hugs,Deb =^..^=x5

GardenOfDaisies said...

Lovely things! I know what you mean about them being special because they belonged to someone special. I treasure the items I have from my great grandmother and grandmother too.

Jacqueline said...

What beautiful treasures and it means even more when they belong to a loved one. I am so glad you shared them. I don't have much from relatives and your variety is just so great.

Beatnheart said...

I try to keep only the things that i really love.. The rest gets sold so someone else can love them.

Anonymous said...

Love this song that plays on your post it fits me right to a tee! I am sentimental when it comes to the good old days -- o that I had a farm -- your photos of your place I love them all and I just built a coop for my Dad and posted about it -- so soon there will be Easter laying chick running around the new coop.. your treasures that are dear to you are lovely..

Anonymous said...

Hi Maura, What beautiful treasures! They are all so special...Kathy

Carole said...

Loved hearing about your family treasures. Funny how such things can spark our memories.
Have a great weekend,
Carole

Mary said...

Oh Maura, I love all your heirlooms and favorite things! I think it is so important to have these tangible connections to our past... and it's all the more wonderful when they are such beautiful things, too. :)

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

The Gough Inn...thank you for stopping by! I'm glad you like that first song...it's catchy. I visited your blog and left a message...I LOVE the chicken coop you and your husband made for your Dad...he'll LOVE having chickens. That's a wonderful chicken coop you made...love the doors that open to the nesting boxes. That will make it so much easier to get eggs and to clean the nests. Enjoy your Sunday!

Kathy...thanks for stopping by!

Hi Carole...nice to see you too. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday too.

Hi Mary...nice to see you too. I'm glad you liked looking at my treasures...family things are so special...not just for the material posession but for the memories they bring back to us. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday...enjoy your flowers ;)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Maura,
You have some really lovely and unique old treasures! That shoe horn really caught my eye and the salt and pepper shakers too. It is so neat that you have such old treasures from your family. I would so love to have something from that long ago.
Have a nice Sunday,
Cindy

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What a beautiful secretary! That spode cup is just goregous! You have so many wonderful treasures - I enjoyed seeing them all!

Manuela

John Going Gently said...

the spode teacup is sweet

Scufty said...

I loved looking at your treasures, too. Since I've seen some of them in my younger years, they also brought back some wonderful memories to me. Thanks - great way to spend the day! Now I'm going to go and look at my treasures again and remember the loved ones who owned them first - I have some from Nana and Amma and thinking of them always warms my heart.

Love you....Scufty

Unknown said...

HI Maura
Hope you are having a wonderful day...
I love the stories that go with each of these items. I have a bunch of handmade nails that my grandpa made. Me and my dad went back long after he had died and pulled them out of the posts. They have no significant meaning to anybody but me. One is that I never met this grandpa.....this is my connection to him! Two, it was a fun time I spent with my dad. I didn't know your grandparents raised you. We are raising our grandson....Any helpful advice will be gladly taken! We are flying by the seat of our pants most of them time around here. Dylan I think has ADHD he is just VERY active! He NEVER slows down. Strong willed.....and I am tired!
xoxo
Diane

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...