home about archives blogfriends recipes cottage

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Inspiration



Even though we're getting things prepared for demolition on our back porch
and the building of the new screened porch
my mind is still on our kitchen.

Last week I showed some pictures of what our kitchen looks like now.
As I mentioned...we haven't done much to it because we knew we would be doing
some renovations one day.

I really don't want a major renovation...been there done that in another house.
This is a little farm cottage in the middle of 'no where' so spending a lot of money on a kitchen renovation just wouldn't be practical.

So we'll do a cosmetic reno that will include a beadboard ceiling with a plain crown molding and a small crown molding along the top of the cheap cupboards that were already in the house. Those I will paint. The walls we may just leave but re-do the trim work around some of the doors and the window. The floor...I'm not sure what I'm going to do there. The counter top will be changed too....something lighter for sure!
Everything will have a fresh coat of paint.
One thing I MUST have is a solar tube installed for the light I'll loose because of the screened porch being built right out the sunny east facing kitchen window. 
I really don't want to loose my sunshine but it will be worth it in the end.

I'm hoping the end result will be light and airy and have lots of country cottage charm.

Here are a few inspirational pictures that I've found.


We certainly don't have the archatectural details this kitchen has but I like the 'feel' of it.

This is a cute kitchen. I like the red but I don't think I'd want THAT much of it.

I love the feel of this kitchen. I wish I had my country sink we left in our last house we renovated.
You can see pictures HERE

This is the look I'm leaning towards.
I love that green and I think it would make our kitchen light and airy and would blend in with the rest of the house colors.

Here is another picture of the same kitchen.

I think white subway tiles for the back splash would look great.

So what do you think about this green kitchen?

I'd LOVE to hear what you have to say.


(photo's from Country Living and Costal Living) 


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the green kitchen. it is light and airy. The only thing to be mindful I think, is if you plan to display any kitchen items, that they do not clash with the green. But other than that, I love it. And I think you are right about the subway tiles.

The Bear's Blog said...

Maura, Good Morning.

I LOVE the green kitchen. It has such a fresh, airy look. I certainly would be very happy there. (o:

Hugs,
Joyce & The Bears
Prudence says, "Miss Maura, can I come and live with you?"

The Bear's Blog said...

Good Morning, Maura

I love the green kitchen, it has such a clean and airy look. I sure would LOVE that one in my house.

Hugs,
Joyce & The Bears
Prudence says; "Miss Maura, can I come and live with you?" (Giggle)

Melissa Price said...

Maura, what an amazing job you guys did in your last home! I bet it was more than a little difficult to leave that sink and all that hard work behind. I know EXACTLY how you feel. For us, the motivation of having some land and a small farm far outweighed our attachment to our home in the city. I'm sure you felt the same way. I can't wait to see what you do in your farmhouse. My favorite kitchen is the one just beneath the one with all the red. It really has the old farmhouse charm and feel that I love. Have a great day! : ) Melissa

Julie said...

Love the green! I have a friend that painted her cabinets that same green and put bead board up and boy does it look good!

Joy Tilton said...

Maura, I love all of the ideas! White painted cabinets just look so clean and fresh. My neighbor did a mix, she has stained cabinets and then her island is surrounded with the "beadboard" like the last picture. Her countertops are mixed too, Corian on most and granite on the island. I wish I had done something similar. My granite and cabinets make my kitchen dark and hard to take a picture for the blog...it's all about the blog at this point! haha

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hello Girls! I'm glad you enjoyed the kitchen pictures. I love the green cupboards but I'm thinking it would be better to paint them white and the walls green as it's much easier to repaint walls than cabinets if you want a change. I am liking that green though. With the right shade of green even the blue willow will look great and other soft blue accessories I may want to keep in there. THANK YOU for all your wonderful comments and suggestions...I appreciate each and ever one of them.

Melissa the kitchen/dining room renovation in our house in the city was done over the winter, the following winter we totally stripped and renovated the living room. That spring we put the house up for sale (we weren't planning on moving when we did all the renovations!)I never looked back even at my kitchen sink when we walked out that door. Moving to the farm was the best decision we ever made...just like you and your family.

Joycee you have a BEAUTIFUL kitchen...but I know what you mean...everything is about the blog LOL!!!

I hope all you girls have a wonderful day...

Flat Creek Farm said...

I love the green kitchen!! I have contemplated removing the plain inserts from my kitchen cabinets and replacing them with beadboard inserts, and then painting all the dark wood a lighter color. Even though our old house (w/ too many issues) is going bye-bye in a couple years or so... I plan to recycle many items, cabinets included. These are some great inspiration photos. Thanks for letting us dream/plan along with you! -Tammy

Celestial Charms said...

Maura,
I tend to agree with you about having white cabinets and painting the walls green. Much more practical. That green color on the cabinets is lovely, and would be perfect for the walls. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will look perfect...based on your gorgeous remodel of your previous home. Don't you just love the vintage little childrens desk in the white kitchen above the green kitchen. Such a great idea if one has a small child, to use for finger painting, crafts, and such. I used to sit in one of those desks at school, eons ago!
By the way, thanks for all your comments on my last blog post. Even though your parents didn't have a big traditional wedding, the way you described it, seems like it was charming and most of all...memorable!
Have a lovely day,
Maureen

Finding Pam said...

I like your idea of white cabinets and green walls. That is one of my favorite colors. I went through a perod where I had my whole house that color. I consider it a neutral and it goes with everything.

Your former home really turned out nice. You are so lucky that your husband is a contractor. In our former home, we remodled everything but the bedrooms. All was gutted and it was my dream home.

I agree it is nice to live in the country except for shopping. It takes me forever to drive to the next town, but I am getting use to it.

John Going Gently said...

not sure of the green kitchen but LOVE the first photo!! tats my ideal

Pondside said...

I love the white walls and green cabinets - and of course, my eye was drawn to the red cupboard in the back of one of the pictures. I've finally finished painting my kitchen and love it - right down to the red cupboard!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...