home about archives blogfriends recipes cottage

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Down To Earth Granola

Lizzy likes Down To Earth Granola too!

I can't remember where I found this version of home-made
granola but I have been making
it for about 10 years now.

You can change it up and use what ever
dried fruit you like.
It calls for raisins but this time I added dried
cranberries too. I like it!

I also added about 1/4 cup of
milled flax seed this time for more fiber etc.

Mixing in the fruit after baking

Down To Earth Granola

15 min Prep time 40 min baking time

4 C Old Fashioned Oats
1 1/2 C sliced almonds or crushed pecans or other nut
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 300'F
Mix these ingredients together in large bowl.
In small saucepan warm;

1/4 C veg. oil (I used olive oil)
1/4 C honey

When warm whisk in;

1 tsp Vanilla

Carefully pour liquid over oat mixture.
Stir gently until well mixed.
Spread on a 15X10X1" pan (jelly roll or rimmed cookie sheet).
Bake 40 minutes stirring carefully every 10 minutes.

When done place pan on rack and let cool completely.

Add  1 1/2 C raisins and/or dried cranberries.
Stir.

Store in self sealing plastic bag at room temperature for 1 week or 3 months in freezer.

Makes 9 cups     24 servings.

Lizzy is ready and waiting

Here comes Olly

Oliver loves his granola too

I hope you'll try this granola. It's also great on yogurt or just as a quick healthy snack.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Maura :)





13 comments:

The Bear's Blog said...

We love Lizzy and Oliver. (o: Here kitty, kitty.....giggle. Thank you for the recipe, Mom has been looking for one. Looks yummy.

Heaps of Hugs
Prudence & Sissy

Sherri said...

Maura, that granola looks awesome and I'm sure it tastes awesome too! I will be making some of that for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!

Joelle said...

I'm going to try to make this tomorrow.Thanks for the recipe. I love granola in Yogurt. It's probibly so much more healthier than store bought too. Dried apples and pecans will go in my batch.YUM.

Pondside said...

Granola is a favourite here - The Great Dane eats it as a snack and I love it with yogurt. I've never made my own, but buy it from a local bakery. Yours sounds delicious!

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

Thanks for the recipe. I make homemade yogurt so this would be fabulous to make as well. I dried some apples aleady this year so I'll have to try mine with apples!

Chris

Verde Farm said...

Looks delicious!! I am going to try it!
Amy

Anonymous said...

Looks so good!!! I'll have to try it. I love granola...Kathy

Catherine said...

Sounds very good , i will try! love your pictures. see you soon Catherine

Deb said...

This looks like it would be a winner.Thanks for sharing it, Maura, Lizzy & Oliver. Hugs, Deb =^..^=x5

Bearly Sane said...

Maura, my dad would have loved this (had he still been alive). He made his own for years, hated the bought stuff. Love your blue and white china too!
Warmest Hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

yum

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Maura, thank you for this recipe. I AM going to try it! I love granola and this one sounds perfect! Have a nice week! Twyla

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Maura, thank you for this recipe. I AM going to make it! I love granola and this one sounds perfect. Have a nice week! Twyla

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...