home about archives blogfriends recipes cottage

Friday, February 26, 2010

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dogs Tails


Shep at 3months old kissing Phoebe our little Dinky Donkey. The last pictures were taken last month when he was 6 months old.
Last September we brought home a puppy an Akbash to be exact. We were told that they are unlike any dog you've ever had before...they are from Turkey and are LGD's (livestock guarding dogs). Shep was 2 months old when we brought him home and we chose him from 8 puppies. Let me rephrase that...he chose us. While we were admiring the ladys fainting goats as the pups all ran around Shep laid down at my feet and licked my ankles. The whole time we talked to the lady and watched the other pups he stayed right by my feet. I was actually looking at one of the pups with longer hair...Shep was like his father with the shorter hair. In the end I just couldn't see how I could refuse this little guy...it was like it was meant to be. So little Shep road home on my lap...well I guess you could say that but most of him was hanging off my lap. When we brought him home he was about the size of our two little Shih Tzu's Chelsea and Bubba....but that didn't last long. Shep is now 7 months old and has been over 100lbs for at least a month. I must say...he certainly is a different dog but he is living up to his breed and I sure would't want to be a predator that's looking for a meal around our yard at night. On the other hand...he is a big softy when it comes to the other animals. He can be a pest to our other dogs sometimes but all three of them get along along just fine and it's a hoot to see two little Shih Tzu's chasing this huge white lummox all over the yard. Here are a few pictures of our Shep...the Akbash when we first brought him home and some taken now with the other dogs. And he's not done growing! 

5 comments:

Catherine said...

I try to post you a comment ,but blogger does not work on my blog since yesterday.i hope it works .Your dog must have a bigger bed now? what's a dinky donkey , is it a mini one?Have a good day. Catherine

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

It worked Catherine! I hope what ever the problem was with Blogger that it doesn't happen again. Yes Shep has a bigger bed now...he took over one of the Shih Tzu's beds until we bought him a new one. Sometimes we'll walk up on the porch and the two little dogs will be on his bed and he'll be laying all curled up and hanging over the edge of one of their little beds! You're right...Phoebe is a mini donkey...our Eeyore is a mini too. The poor boy will be 'fixed' this Tuesday...I don't think he's going to be happy about it. At least this way we'll be able to put the two of them together finally. We'd breed her now but she's too young. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Celestial Charms said...

Shep is a beautiful dog, and mighty big to be sure. I love how his tail curls up in one of the photos. So cute. Your Phoebe is precious. I just love mini donkeys. My 8 year old daughter is sleeping now, but when she wakes up, I can't wait to show her this post. She is all about ranches and farms, and wants us to move to one. The sooner the better for her. That is all she talks about. She wants chickens, mini donkeys, horses, goats, peacocks and other beloved animals. I barely can handle our two guinea pigs, two cats, and a new puppy!
Maureen

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hello Maureen..thank you for your comment! I remember being a little girl and dreaming of horses and living on a farm too...I hope your daughter enjoys the pictures. I'll make sure to post pictures of our chickens and Eeyore our other donkey very soon. I am going to look at your Blog as soon as we get back from the city this morning...more supplies for fencing. It's never ending but worth all the effort. Have a good day! Maura

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

He was the most adorable puppy and is still such a cutie!

Manuela

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...