home about archives blogfriends recipes cottage

Monday, May 21, 2012

The View From Right Here





It was a beautiful morning.
The sun was shining the birds
were singing
and there was a gentle
breeze blowing.




It was too nice of a morning 
to be inside so I took
a break and grabbed
my coffee
and headed out to the back porch
to enjoy the view.


 

The back porch looks out onto
the "back 40" as we call it. 
The horses had just gone inside 
the run in shed for a rest.

You can also see the 
chicken coop/garden shed
from the porch.

I love this old building.

I found the BUNKHOUSE
sign at our big monthly
flea market last year. 

 



The chickens were fed
and let out into their pen,
the dogs and cats had been fed and 
the horses given their treats
and the clothes were 
softly blowing on the line.






It was nice to just sit and sip
and enjoy the porch.



 



I have a pot 
filled with Basil 
that smells wonderful
in between two chairs
and a fern hanging
in the shade of the rafters. 



It's not a big porch
but for now it's all we need.

One day it will be replaced
with a screened porch.
  


After I finished my coffee
I took a little walk 
and checked on the gardens
to see if they needed watering.

It's been very dry here
in our part of Kansas and every
day I have to water everything.

 


The herb garden was looking good
especially the lavender. 

 



You can see how the little garden
is laid out.

These are old bricks made 
in Coffeeville Kansas.

 





I decided to put water in the
bird bath since it's so 
dry. I thought the birds
might need the water.

Now I just need to keep
a watch on the cats!

 



I was going to stain the picket
fence and I even started
a couple of years ago
but it was too big of a job
so I decided to just let it age
naturally. 

I wish it would hurry up!

No white picket fence 
for us I'm afraid.
Our rusty water would have 
it stained in no time. 

 


I think it will look
just fine...
one day.

In the meantime...I'll just
enjoy the view from right here. 

~~~~~~

I hope your week is a good one.

24 comments:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Maura: I'll just enjoy that view with you, hope you don't mind. I couldn't think of a better view than from the back porch watching the clothes dry and listening to the birds sing, on the farm. It's hearing about mornings like this that I miss being in the country..Happy Tuesday..Judy

Julie Harward said...

I have been gone for awhile, so fun to visit you again. What is in the old bike baskets? I have been looking for an old bike! I love your fence, we just built one and we put an oil based white stain on it but if I were on a farm, I would leave it to age too. Love your place so much, and you! :)

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

What a pretty view you have of your sweet gardens, shed and 'weathering' picket fence. It looks so peaceful and I can nearly smell that basil in it's pot and feel the breeze blowing the clothes on the line. Lovely.

valerietilsten59.blogspot.com said...

Listning to the music and reading your post was such a delight Maura.
I can feel that you have a lovely farm and home. This is such a nice post.
Isnt spring just the best of times. It brings us hope and all good things.
Your garden looks charming.
best wishes
Happy Tuesday to you there in Kansas
val

Melanie said...

Oh Maura, this sounds so wonderful, I feel like I am there! Love your herb garden! Love the pictures you have posted!!! That bunkhouse sign is awesome!!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thank you for this delightful little tour of your home sweet home.

Hope you get some rain soon.

Have a great week.

FlowerLady

Ruby and Arthur said...

What lovely photos! With a view like that, it would be hard for me to get anything done! Have a lovely day, Jean

Bee Haven Bev said...

What a lovely view you have, Maura. I love the rustic look of your out buildings...and the tin roof! Just lovely, as always!! Thanks for sharing with us!

Lynne said...

Beautiful photos Maura . . . Loved the "look and see!". My favorite . . . the bicycle leaning ainst the tree with baskets of ???

Linda said...

Thank you Maura for the lovely tour.
Everything looks so peaceful and serene.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I love to read your blog. It gives me that peaceful, easy feeling......

TexWisGirl said...

such a beautiful place, maura. i love your views. :)

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

What a wonderful view from your porch. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Maura
That was a nice walk around your home and gardens. Don't you love a day when you can sit back and enjoy?
I like the design of your herb garden; originally I had a herb wheel made from bricks too until we took out all the grass in the back and planted more shrubs.
Judith

Dog Trot Farm said...

What a lovely visit, thank you. Your view is just wonderful, your gardens are filling in nicely and everything is so green and vibrant. We here in Maine are enjoying a rainy day, it has been dry and dusty here too. Flowers have been purchased, time to get them planted, but still a bit on the chilly side. Hope you are enjoying this spring day, greetings, Julie.

Snooks said...

The fence looks great from here. So does everything else. You have such a nice place.

@ 3Beeze Homestead

NanaDiana said...

Maura- What a wonderful, wonderful view from your porch. I love it. I can almost hear the bees buzzing around and the calls of the birds across the air. I love your special space-xo Diana

wendy said...

I love just taking "time out" in the morning to greet the day (so to speak)
I love getting up and checking our bird houses and see how the nests are coming along.
I check the greenhouse and just love to look around at the plants there.
It is a great time of day...ESPECIALLY HERE IF THE WIND ISN'T BLOWING.

GardenOfDaisies said...

It's all looking wonderful, Maura! It is a dry spring, isin't it? Usually we have more rain. I need to find a clothes line like the one you have. I don't want to use my dryer in the summer time.

Sherri said...

Maura, hearing about & looking at your beautiful farm makes me long for one of my own even more. It truly must be Heaven on earth. You have probably tried this, but I'll still mention it about your rusty water. There is a product called "Iron Out" you can get it at Lowe's or most any hardware store. My mom swears by it to clean the rust rings from her tub, toilet, sinks, & even out of whites. I told my friend from South Carolina who happens to be from Manhattan, KS about it & she loves the stuff. Just a note though...it will bleach out colors.

Robin Johnson said...

Good for you to take a break and enjoy all the fruits of your labor. Your yard, garden, and building are so beatuiful. As much as I love your garden, picket fench and the bunkhouse sign, I have to say my favorite shot is of your clothes line - funny I know. But it just seems so homey and "summer-like" to me. I really need to get my own clothes line so I can enjoy a few moments in my own back yard. Any suggestions on where I could find a similar one?

the real mia said...

Beautiful! I especially love that photo with the laundry and picket fence.

Connie said...

I just discovered your blog . . . oh my goodness . . . the photography alone is out of this world perfect. Your home is a total paradise. I am looking so forward to following your blogging journey. Please accept my warm and humble invitation to visit my blog . . . just maybe you will decide to follow me, too. Connie :)

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

What a blessing to be able to enjoy the little things that make your home place so lovely! Your garden is coming along nicely and I love how you use the bricks. In the picture with the fern hanging on the porch...my porch lights are just like yours!! LOL I love them. We are going to screen in our side porch soon. It is what I wanted for my birthday/Mother's Day. My s-i-l will be doing it for me. I'm so excited!
Maura, your home and surroundings are so lovely. I'd be spending quite a few mornings enjoying the beauty around me if I were in your place. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...